Information overload/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Information overload, or pages that link to Information overload or to this page or whose text .
- Information theory : Theory of the probability of transmission of messages with specified accuracy when the bits of information constituting the messages are subject, with certain probabilities, to transmission failure, distortion, and accidental additions.
- Flow control : Add brief definition or description
- Mashup : An integrated application created by combining data and services of multiple applications. On the web, "mashup" typically refers to the combining of geographical location information with a service such as Google maps or Microsoft Virtual Earth.
- Connection admission control : Technique for resource management in information systems, in which new units of work (e.g., telephone calls) are not allowed to enter the system if there are inadequate resources to process them; analogous to metering cars onto a highway
- Traffic engineering : Add brief definition or description
- Situational awareness : The state of being aware of all relevant information in one's environment, prioritizing the information, and not being distracted by irrelevancies
- John Boyd : United States Air Force colonel who developed both fighter aircraft tactics, and far more general models for command and control; a major theorist of modern warfare
- Fratricide (military) : The killing of one's brother, but in a military context, the killing of one's own forces ("friendly fire").
- Fighter aircraft : Airplanes that have a principal mission of destroying other airplanes in flight, often with a secondary capability to attack ground targets
- Span of control : The number of individuals, and discrete tasks, that the average individual can manage
- Command and control : The combination of lawful authority over people and resources, coupled with the methods of directing their execution of missions and tasks directed at goals set by that authority
- Centers of gravity (military) : A centre of military force or power.
- Common operational picture : An electronically shared graphic of map of common interest, typically to military units, that can show more or less detail, and specialized information, on simple user command or even touch
- Blue Force Tracker : A U.S. military command and control system, including soldier- and vehicle-level workstations, originally designed for battalion and brigade, but, with network improvements, capable of reaching to higher headquarters and rear areas
- Enhanced Position Location Reporting System : A portable or vehicle-mounted U.S. Army device that transmits friendly force positions for command and control, fires with precision-guided munitions, and logistical support
- Electronic countermeasures suite controller : A computer aboard a protected vehicle, which both aids in situational awareness of weapon and sensor threats to the vehicles, and reduces crew workload in countering the threats. Practical implementations usually include at least one electronic warfare function in the controller, such as a radar warning receiver or electronic warfare expendables dispenser.
- Deconfliction : The process of avoiding mutual interference, or destruction, among resources under one's control
- Battle of Los Angeles : Peculiar occurrence of wartime hysteria experienced by the City of Angels in the early hours of February 25, 1942.
- Air combat maneuvering : Close combat, within visual range, between fighter aircraft