Hurricane Katrina/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Hurricane Katrina, or pages that link to Hurricane Katrina or to this page or whose text .
- Hurricane (weather) : A large, destructive storm in the Western Hemisphere, comparable to cyclones in South Asia and typhoons in the Pacific; may have local tornadoes and higher winds, but the main concern is extensive flooding and winds up to 280 kmph/175 mph
- Emergency management : Preparation and response to natural disasters, accidents, and deliberate violence at both the routine local level and when local resources are overwhelmed
- Gulf of Mexico : Add brief definition or description
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security : An executive (cabinet-level) department of the United States government whose primary mission is to protect the security of the nation.
- Michael Chertoff : President, Chertoff Group (security consulting); of counsel, Wilmer Pickering LLC; Advisory board, America Abroad Media; board member, BaE Systems; Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2005-2009); Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2003-2005}; Associate Attorney General, Criminal DivisionU.S. Department of Justice (2001–2003); Republican counsel to Senate Whitewater Committee
- Federal Emergency Management Agency : Under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the lead operating agency for emergency response to disasters, accidents and attacks affecting the civilian population
- United States Army : Branch of the United States Armed Forces with the principal responsibility of conducting large-scale ground combat
- Louisiana : 18th state of the USA
- Mississippi : Add brief definition or description
- Georgia (U.S. state) : One of the original 13 states of the USA
- Alabama : State of the southern USA.
- Texas : A State in the Southern USA.
- Vibrio vulnificus : Gram-negative, motile, curved, rod-shaped bacteria present in marine environments, capable of causing septicemia in individuals with an underlying chronic disease, as well as causing wound infections to persons who handle shellfish.