Highland Games/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Highland Games, or pages that link to Highland Games or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Highland games. Needs checking by a human.
- Belted plaid : A large blanket-like piece of fabric which is wrapped around one's body which was a standard item of men's Highland attire in the 17th century. It is the precursor to the modern kilt.
- Fiddle : The violin, when played in folk music or jazz.
- Highland dancing : The national dance of Scotland and one of two basic types of Scottish dancing which can be seen at nearly every modern day Highland games event.
- Kilt accessories : The entire range of items of wearing apparel, from headgear to footwear and everything in between, typically worn with the Scottish kilt.
- Kilt variants : Any of a number of garments in some ways similar to the traditional Scottish kilt, but differing therefrom in some significant fashion.
- Kilt : A knee-length, skirtlike, traditional Scottish garment, usually worn by men as part of Highland attire.
- Olympic Games : A quadrennial multi-sport event organised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) involving athletes from around the world in both summer and winter sport editions. The summer event was first staged at Athens in 1896 as a revival of the Ancient Olympics; the winter event was first staged at Chamonix in 1924.
- Scotland : A country that forms the northernmost part of the United Kingdom; population about 5,200,000.