Forward Area Air Defense/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Forward Area Air Defense, or pages that link to Forward Area Air Defense or to this page or whose text .
- Air, artillery and missile defense : An integrated approach to defending surface forces against all types of weapons that fly through the atmosphere or space; a radar may detect artillery shells, helicopters, or missiles, while a close-in gun may shoot down any of them
- Air defense artillery : A combat arms branch of the United States Army, responsible for defending ground forces and the continental United States against aircraft and missile attack
- FIM-92 Stinger : A second-generation United States Army surface-to-air missile that can be fired from a soldier's shoulder, from vehicle-mounted launchers, and, in an air-to-air missile configuration, from attack helicopters. Uses combined infrared-ultraviolet guidance to resist countermeasures.
- Joint Tactical Information Distribution System : The primary communications system used for sharing tactical information internally, and among NATO, Australia, and other U.S. allies
- Lightweight and special divisions interim sensor : A transportable air defense artillery tactical radar that emphasizes portability over performance
- Counter-rocket, artillery and mortar : Military equipment and techniques to detect unguided rockets, artillery shells, and mortar rounds in flight, warn friendly forces that are threatened, and, with new methods, intercept and destroy the projectiles before they can do damage
- MIM-104 Patriot : Missile originally developed for medium-to-high altitude aircraft interception (SAM) use, which, while retaining that capability, is now optimized as an anti-ballistic missile (ABM) for relatively small but critical areas. The SAM versions have explosive warheads but the ABM is hit-to-kill.
- MIM-23 HAWK : A surface-to-air missile obsolete in U.S. service, which may still be used by a few allies; the launcher can be upgraded to take the Norwegian ground-launched version of the AIM-120 AMRAAM missile
- MPQ-64 : Mobile air search radar, used by the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps, to detect aircraft, cruise missiles, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), for air defense and friendly air deconfliction