From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Chemistry : The science of matter, or of the electrical or electrostatical interactions of matter.
- Combustion : A sequence of exothermic chemical reactions between a fuel and an oxidant accompanied by the production of heat or both heat and light in the form of either a glow or flames.
- Oxidation : Chemical loss of electrons, gain of oxygen, or loss of hydrogen, from an atom, ion or molecule (oxidation); chemical gain of electrons, loss of oxygen, or gain of hydrogen, from and atom, ion, or molecule (reduction)
- Carbon dioxide : Chemical compound composed of two oxygen atoms covalently bonded to a single carbon atom.
- Firefighting : The act of extinguishing dangerous fires.
- Heat : A form of energy that flows spontaneously from hotter to colder bodies that are in thermal contact.
- Light : The part of the electromagnetic spectrum visible to a species' biological eye.