Costa Rica/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Costa Rica, or pages that link to Costa Rica or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Costa Rica. Needs checking by a human.
- Altitude : Distance above a planetary reference point, such as the mean sea level.
- Aspasia (disambiguation) : Add brief definition or description
- Aspasia (orchid) : Is an orchid genus formed by seven species spread from Costa Rica to South Brazil and closely related to the genus Miltonia.
- Bee : Flying insects of the order hymenoptera, closely related to wasps and ants.
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands : An Australian territory comprising two large coral atolls made up of 27 coral islands in the Indian Ocean north-west of Perth.
- Colombia : Country in South America.
- Coral snake : Large group of elapid snakes most notable for their red, yellow, and black colored banding.
- Country : Nation, state, region, or territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture.
- Crotalus durissus : A venomous rattlesnake species found in Mexico and South America.
- Discovery of penicillin : Chronology of research into the use of antibiotics, derived from the mould Penicillium notatum.
- Epidendroideae : It is the largest subfamily of Orchidaceae, with three quarters of all known species, split into several tribes and subtribes, encompassing more than five hundred genera and about twenty thousand species distributed almost all over the world, except in the dryer deserts and polar areas; known for being orchids with coherent pollen forming pollinia and with one incumbent anther only, or with the anther bent back, but then with clearly plicate leaves and roots hardly ever fleshy.
- Eukaryota : is a domain formed by all living beings, from unicellular to very complex individuals with many different types of cells carrying particular functions, that are always constituted by cells where there is a nucleus, with various organelles, enclosed by a membrane that separates its content from the surrounding cytoplasm.
- Focus on the Family : American Christian Right non-profit organization founded in 1977 by James Dobson; Gary Bauer resigned to run for the American Presidency; Partner ministry of Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview
- Fungus : A eukaryotic organism, classified into the kingdom Fungi, that is heterotrophic and digest their food externally, and may be a yeast, mold, or mushroom.
- Heterotaxis : A genus of orchids formed by a group of about fourteen large epiphytic neotropical species of small flowers, which previously were considered part of genus Maxillaria.
- Hexisea : Is an orchid genus currently considered a synonym of genus Scaphyglottis; it was described by John Lindley in 1834; its type species is H. bidentata and included five species.
- Jaime Daremblum : Costa Rican specialist on Latin America and international politics; Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Director of Hudson's Center for Latin American Studies. Ambassador of Costa Rica to the United States from 1998 to 2004. Professor at the University of Costa Rica, the Autonomous University, and the Center of Administrative and Political Research, affiliated with Tulane University; He has also practiced law in Costa Rica and writes for national and continental Latin American publications
- Lachesis (genus) : Genus of venomous pitvipers found in the remote, forested areas in Central and South America.
- Latin America : The region of the Americas that shares a common tradition and historical heritage of European colonization, mostly Iberian.
- Mexico : A country in North America, bordering the United States on the north and Guatemala and Belize on the south.
- Miltonia : An orchid genus formed by nine showy epiphyte species and seven natural hybrids of Brazil, one species reaching Argentina and Paraguay.
- North America : The third largest continent; area 24,709,000 km² ; pop. 523,736,000 (est. July 2007)
- Orchid : Any plant classified under Orchidaceae, one of the largest plant families and the largest among Monocotyledons.
- Pacific Ocean : the largest single mass of water in the world, lying between Asia and Australia on its west, and North America and South America on its east.
- Pericles : (circa 495-429 BCE) Athenian Statesman, General and Admiral.
- Phymatochilum : Is an orchid genus formed by only one species, Phymatochilum brasiliense, inhabitant of Serra do Mar mountains in Brazilian southeast and northeast, which vegetatively resembles Oncidium species, however, is more closely related to the genus Miltonia.
- Pollination : Process by which pollen is transferred in plants from the male reproductive organ (stamen or staminate cone) to the female reproductive organ (pistil or pistillate cone), thereby enabling fertilisation and sexual reproduction.
- San Jose (disambiguation) : Add brief definition or description
- Scaphyglottis : Is an orchid genus formed by almost seventy species of tropical New World characterized by the habit of shooting new pseudobulbs both from the apex and the base of older ones and by its generally dull colored small flowers that bloom several times on previous years pseudobulbs.
- Spanish language : A Romance language widely spoken in Spain, its current and former territories, and the United States of America.
- Sunlight : Total spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation given off by the Sun.
- Systematics : The study of the diversity of organism characteristics, and how they relate via evolution.