Cortical column/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Cortical column, or pages that link to Cortical column or to this page or whose text .
- Biology : The science of life — of complex, self-organizing, information-processing systems living in the past, present or future.
- Nervous system : The control unit of bodily functions in animals.
- Central nervous system : The main information-processing organs of the nervous system, consisting of the brain, spinal cord, and meninges.
- Brain : The core unit of a central nervous system.
- Cerebral cortex : External tissue layer within the vertebrate brain, ensheathed by the pia mater; home to the nerve cell bodies; important in learning and dementia.
- Column : Add brief definition or description
- Brain development : The build-up of the brain from ectodermal cells to a complex structure of neurons, glia and blood vessels.
- Brain evolution : The process by which the central nervous system changed over many generations.
- Intelligence (biology) : An organism's capacity to make adaptive decisions based on information about its internal state or that of its environment.
- Mammal : A warm-blooded animal with a backbone which also has hair, and produces milk to feed its young.
- Neocortex : The six-layered outer layer of the mammalian brain.
- Neurology : The medical specialty concerned with evaluating the nervous system and the other system that it affects, and the treatment of nervous system disorders.
- Psychiatry : The subfield of health sciences concerned with mental disorders.