From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Chromosome: A compact body of ribonucleic acid wrapped around proteins that is the unit in which genetic material is distributed during cell division.
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Cell biology : The study of the components of biological cells and their interactions.
- Genetics : The study of the inheritance of characteristics, genes and DNA.
- Chromosome arm : Add brief definition or description
- Chromosome staining : Add brief definition or description
- Chromosome band : A striped pattern observed on stained chromosomes.
- Gene : The functional unit of heredity.
- Nucleotide : A repeating unit in nucleic acid polymers consisting of a purine or pyrimidine base, a pentose sugar, and a phosphate group.
- DNA : A macromolecule — chemically, a nucleic acid — that stores genetic information.
- RNA : A polymer, made using the nucleotides of adenosine, guanosine, uridine and cytidine, that is used for a variety of biological functions in living systems.
- Histone : Proteins essential for packaging DNA into chromatin and a scaffold for methylation and acetylation modifications that are part of the chromatin code.