From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Bisphosphonate, or pages that link to Bisphosphonate or to this page or whose text .
- Bone : Biomineralized skeletal structure characteristic of vertebrates.
- Endocrinology : Generically, the study of glands and the hormonal regulation of physiology; also the subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with diseases of the endocrine system
- Rheumatology : Medical specialty that deals with the study, diagnosis, and treatment of connective tissue diseases; a subspecialty of internal medicine
- Menopause : The cessation of menstrual activity due to failure to form ovarian follicles, which normally occurs age 45–55.
- Bone densitometry : A range of medical imaging methods used to detect weakening of bone and the risk of fractures; major applications are managing potential osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, and bone growth disorders in children
- Osteitis deformans : Also known as Paget's disease of bone, "a disease marked by repeated episodes of increased bone resorption followed by excessive attempts at repair, resulting in weakened, deformed bones of increased mass. The resultant architecture of the bone assumes a mosaic pattern in which the fibers take on a haphazard pattern instead of the normal parallel symmetry"
- Osteoporosis : Reduction of bone mass without alteration in the composition of bone, leading to fractures.
- Atrial fibrillation : Condition where there is disorganised electrical conduction in the atria, resulting in ineffective pumping of blood into the ventricle.
- Extramammary Paget's Disease : A rare cutaneous neoplasm that occurs in the elderly. It develops more frequently in women and predominantly involves apocrine gland-bearing areas, especially the vulva, scrotum, and perianal areas. The lesions develop as erythematous scaly patches that progress to crusted, pruritic, erythematous plaques. The clinical differential diagnosis includes squamous cell carcinoma in situ and superficial fungal infection. It is generally thought to be an adenocarcinoma of the epidermis, from which it extends into the contiguous epithelium of hair follicles and eccrine sweat ducts.
- Mammary Paget's Disease : An intraductal carcinoma of the breast extending to involve the nipple and areola, characterized clinically by eczema-like inflammatory skin changes and histologically by infiltration of the dermis by malignant cells (Paget's cells).