Aplastic anemia/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Aplastic anemia, or pages that link to Aplastic anemia or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Aplastic anemia. Needs checking by a human.
- Anemia : A condition characterized by insufficient circulating and effective hemoglobin in blood to support normal physiology.
- Chloramphenicol : One of the first broad-spectrum antibiotics discovered; exceptionally wide spectrum but carries risk of fatal aplastic anemia
- Erythropoietin : A protein hormone produced by the kidneys in response to hypoxia; it is essential for normal development and maturation of red blood cells (RBC).
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor : Naturally occurring protein that stimulates the production of granulocytes and macrophages by stem cells and is used as a drug by some immunosuppressed individuals.
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplant : Transplantation of blood stem cells derived from the bone marrow or blood, most often performed for people with diseases of the blood and cancer.
- Platelet : Cell fragments circulating in the blood.
- Red blood cells : Also called erythrocytes; a type of disc-shaped blood cell that contain hemoglobin, and the body's principal means of delivering oxygen to the body's cells via the blood, and the removal of carbon dioxide wastes that result from metabolism.
- Rickettsia rickettsii : Obligate, intracellular, Gram-negative coccobacillary that causes a variety of spotted fevers throughout the world including Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- Typhoid fever : An acute systemic, febrile infection caused by Salmonella typhi, a serotype of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi, spread by fecal-oral contamination, best prevented by water treatment