Anterior pituitary/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Anterior pituitary, or pages that link to Anterior pituitary or to this page or whose text .
- Endocrinology : Generically, the study of glands and the hormonal regulation of physiology; also the subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with diseases of the endocrine system
- : The main part of the anterior pituitary gland, containing the principal source of prolactin, growth hormone, LH, FSH and TSH.
- : Rostral part of the anterior pituitary gland, closely integrated with the median eminence, that in some species regulates anterior pituitary endocrine function by mediating the actions of melatonin.
- Cell types
- : Endocrine cell type in the anterior pituitary gland that secretes prolactin.
- : Endocrine cell type in the anterior pituitary gland that secretes luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone.
- : Endocrine cell type in the anterior pituitary gland that secretes growth hormone.
- Corticotroph : Endocrine cell type in the anterior pituitary gland that secretes ACTH.
- : Endocrine cell type in the anterior pituitary gland that secretes thyroid-stimulating hormone.
- Prolactin : Hormone secreted from lactotroph cells of the anterior pituitary gland with an essential role in lactation.
- Growth hormone : A peptide hormone that is made in and secreted from the somatotroph cells of the anterior pituitary gland, and which is essential for regulating post-natal growth in all mammals.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone : Hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland, which stimulates production of thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland.
- Follicle stimulating hormone : Add brief definition or description (FSH)
- Adrenocorticotrophic hormone : Hormone secreted from the anterior pituitary that regulates glucocorticoid secretion from the adrenal gland. (ACTH)
- Luteinising hormone : Pituitary hormone with an essential role in reproduction in both males and females. (LH)
- Neuroendocrinology : The study of the interactions between the nervous system and the endocrine system.