Lloyd David Brown/Bibliography
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
Themes in Brown’s research and consulting include organization development (especially for civil society organizations), action research, conflict management and intersectoral cooperation, and transnational civil society advocacy and accountability.
• Friedlander, F. & L.D. Brown, Organization Development, Annual Review of Psychology, 25, l974, 313-341.
• Alderfer, C.P. & L.D. Brown, Learning from Changing: Organizational Diagnosis and Development, Beverly Hills, CA; Sage Publications, 1975.
• Brown, L.D. Planned Change in Underorganized Systems, in T.G. Cummings, Systems Theory for Organization Development, London: Wiley, 1980, 181-203.
• Tandon, R. & L.D. Brown, Organization Building for Rural Development: An Experiment in India, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 17, 1981, 172-189.
• Brown, L.D. & J.G. Covey, Development Organizations and Organization Development: Implications for a New Paradigm, in W. Pasmore and R. Woodman, Research in Organization Change and Development, Vol. I, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1987, 57-87.
• Brown, L.D., M. Leach, & J.G. Covey, Organization Development for Social Change, in T. G. Cummings (Ed.) Handbook of Organization Development, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2008, 593-614.
• Brown, L.D., Research Action: Organizational Feedback, Understanding and Change, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 8, l972, 697-711.
• Brown, L.D., & R. Tandon, Ideology and Political Economy in Inquiry: Action Research and Participatory Research, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 19:3, 1983, 277-294.
• Brown, L.D., People-Centered Development and Participatory Research, Harvard Educational Review, 55, 1985, 69-75.
• Brown, L.D., G. Bammer, S. Batliwala, and F. Kunreuther. Framing Practice-Research Engagement for Democratizing Knowledge, 2003, Action Research, 1:1, 85-102.
• Brown, L.D. & J. Gaventa, Constructing Transnational Action Research Networks: Reflections on the Citizenship Development Research Centre. Action Research, 2010. 8:1, 5-28.
Civil Society Development
• Brown, L.D., Bridging Organizations and Sustainable Development, Human Relations, 44:8, 1991, 807-831.
• Brown, L.D. & A. Kalegaonkar, Support Organizations and the Evolution of the NGO Sector. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 31:2, 2002, 231-258.
• Alvord, S., Brown, L.D. & Letts, C. Social Entrepreneurship and Social Transformation. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 2004, 40:3, 260-282.
• Tandon R. & L. D. Brown, Eruptions, Initiatives and Evolution in Citizen Activism: Civil Societies at Crossroads, London: Routledge, 2014.
Conflict Management and Intersectoral cooperation
• Brown, L.D., Can "Haves" and "Have-nots" Cooperate? Two Efforts to Bridge a Social Gap, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 13, 1977, 211-224.
• Brown, L.D., Managing Conflict at Organizational Interfaces, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1983.
• Brown, L.D. & L.B. Detterman, Small Interventions for Large Problems: Reshaping Urban Leadership Networks, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 23, 1987, 151-168.
• Brown, L.D. & D. Ashman, Participation, Social Capital and Intersectoral Problem-Solving: African and Asian Cases, World Development, 24: 9, 1996, 1467-1479.
• Brown, L.D., Khagram, S, Moore, M.H., & Frumkin, P. Globalization, NGOs, and Multi-Sectoral Relations, J.S. Nye & J.D. Donohue, Governance in a Globalizing World, Washington: Brookings Institution, 2000, 271-296.
• Brown, L.D., Bridge-Building for Social Transformation, Stanford Social Innovation Review, Winter, 2015, pp. 34-39.
Advocacy and accountability
• Fox, J. & L.D. Brown (editors), The Struggle for Accountability: NGOs, Social Movements and the World Bank. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1998.
• Brown, L.D. & M.H. Moore, Accountability, Strategy, and International NGOs, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 30:3, 2001, 569-587.
• Brown L.D., Multiparty Social Action and Mutual Accountability, in A. Ebrahim & E. Weisband. Global Accountabilities. Cambridge: Cambridge University, 2007, 89-111.
• Brown, L. D., Creating Credibility: Legitimacy and Accountability for Transnational Civil Society, Bloomfield, CT: Kumarian Press, 2008.
• Brown, L.D., A. Ebrahim & S. Batliwala, Governing International Advocacy Organizations, World Development, 2012, 40:6, 1098-1108.