Yos Sudarso Bay
- The content on this page originated on Wikipedia and is yet to be significantly improved. Contributors are invited to replace and add material to make this an original article.
Yos Sudarso Bay (Indonesian:Teluk Yos Sudarso), also known earlier as Humboldt Bay, is a small bay on the north coast of New Guinea, about 50 kilometers west of the border between Indonesia's province of Papua and the country of Papua New Guinea. The Indonesian provincial capital Jayapura is situated on the bay.
In World War II Teluk Yos Sudarso was known as Humboldt Bay, and Jayapura was known as Hollandia. Occupied by the Japanese in April 1942, the area was liberated by U.S. forces on April 22, 1944, and became home to a massive U.S. naval base. It served as General Douglas MacArthur's headquarters until the conquest of the Philippines in March 1945.