- Group I: double-stranded DNA viruses. Includes Herpesviridae (Herpes simplex, Varicella Zoster virus (chickenpox and Herpes zoster), Epstein-Barr virus, (Cytomegalovirus), Poxviridae, Adenovirus, Papillomaviridae (Human papilloma virus)
- Group II: single-stranded DNA viruses. Includes Parvoviridae (Human Parvovirus B19).
- Group III: double-stranded RNA viruses
- Group IV: positive-sense single-stranded RNA viruses. Includes Flaviviridae (West Nile Virus and Dengue fever).
- Group V: negative-sense single-stranded RNA viruses. Includes Orthomyxoviridae (Influenza)
- Group VI: reverse transcribing Diploid single-stranded RNA viruses. Includes Retroviridae ( Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
- Group VII: reverse transcribing Circular double-stranded DNA viruses