- First, soften (do not melt) the butter at room temperature. The best way to do this is to take it out of the refrigerator and leave it out for several hours, then, if necessary, work it with a wooden spoon until quite soft. This can also be good exercise in building up the arm muscles!
- Next, combine the flour (both kinds) and sugar, mixing them together in a large mixing bowl.
- Now, in another mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients in with the softened butter, combining a small amount of dry stuff at a time and working it until it is mixed in. If it becomes difficult to work with the wooden spoon (it will), then knead it with the hands until you have a well mixed, soft dough.
- Spread the mixture out on a cookie sheet (or in a special ceramic baking pan). It should have a even depth of about 1/2 inch all around.
- Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove and cut into appropriate shapes, then return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes