- Computer networking reference models : Add brief definition or description
- Routing : The process of receiving a packet on one interface of a router, validating the packet and forwarding it out the appropriate interface.
- Control plane : Functions in a router that tell it how to direct packets through the forwarding plane; include routing protocols that draw the "map" of the network
- Forwarding plane : The part of the router architecture that decides what to do with packets arriving on an inbound interface.
- : Mechanisms that exchange information about the reachability of various network destinations among routers, from which the router control plane builds a "map" of the routing domain