RIM-156 Standard SM-2/Related Articles
- See also changes related to RIM-156 Standard SM-2, or pages that link to RIM-156 Standard SM-2 or to this page or whose text .
- Anti-air warfare : In the context of naval warfare, the mission of defending against aircraft and missiles, from platforms under naval command and control, possibly in coordination with other services and possibly defending land as well as sea areas.
- AEGIS battle management system : An integrated system of computers, radars, and other systems that provides integrated management of a shipboard suite of strategic strike, anti-surface warfare, ballistic missile defense and anti-air warfare principally using missiles in vertical launch systems; it complements other integrated systems for anti-submarine warfare and naval gunfire support
- Standard SM missile series : An evolving series of ship-launched guided missiles developed by the U.S. Navy and used by a number of countries; primarily for anti-air warfare but also for ballistic missile defense and attacking surface ships
- Surface-to-air missile : A guided missile fired from land or water, to destroy aircraft and possibly missiles; naval versions may have a secondary anti-shipping missile capability
- AN/SPG-2 : In the AEGIS battle management system for anti-air warfare, this radar provides the final illumination for terminal guidance of an SM-2 surface-to-air missile
- AN/SPY-1 : This is the main radar for the air and cruise missile defense functions of the AEGIS battle management system aboard cruisers and destroyers
- RIM-2 Terrier : Deployed in the 1950s, the first operational ship-borne surface-to-air missile of the U.S. Navy
- RIM-24 Tartar : A descendant of the U.S. Navy RIM-2 Terrier missile, with reduced size and range, but more capability within its range and usable on smaller ships
- RIM-67 Terrier upgrade : A replacement for the RIM-2 Terrier naval surface-to-air missile
- RIM-67 NTU versions : A replacement for RIM-2 Terrier and RIM-24 Tartar surface-to-air missiles on ships equipped with the New Threat Upgrade system rather than the AEGIS battle management system. Also called SM-2ER Block I through III.
- RIM-161 Standard SM-3 : Theater anti-ballistic (i.e., midcourse and terminal phases) and anti-satellite missile, using hit-to-kill, launched from ships equipped with the AN/SPY-2 radar and AEGIS battle management system.
- Vertical Launch System : Add brief definition or description