Pantheon, Paris

From Citizendium
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is developed but not approved.
Main Article
Discussion
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
 
This editable, developed Main Article is subject to a disclaimer.

The Paris Panthéon is a building in the Greek style, originally constructed (1754–1780) as a church dedicated to the city's patron saint. In the French Revolution it was made into a temple to take the remains of great people, with the inscription "Aux grands hommes, la Patrie reconnaissante". At the restoration of the monarchy it was again a church, under Louis-Philippe a temple to "La Gloire", under the Second Empire a church again. It returned to its present name and the purpose given it by the Revolution, in order to receive the body of Victor Hugo in 1885.