- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Sherwood, C.C.; C.D. Stimpson & C. Butti et al. (2008), "Neocortical neuron types in Xenarthra and Afrotheria: implications for brain evolution in mammals", Brain structure & function: in press, DOI:10.1007/s00429-008-0198-9
- Eriksen, N. & B. Pakkenberg (2007), "Total Neocortical Cell Number in the Mysticete Brain", Anatomical Record 290 (1): 83-95, DOI:10.1002/ar.20404
- Marino, L. (2006), "Absolute brain size: Did we throw the baby out with the bathwater?", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103 (37): 13563-13564, DOI:10.1073/pnas.0606337103
- Sherwood, C.C.; C.D. Stimpson & M.A. Raghanti et al. (2006), "Evolution of increased glia-neuron ratios in the human frontal cortex", Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103 (37): 13606–13611, DOI:10.1073/pnas.0605843103
- Provides comparative histological data on the glia-neuron ratios in prefrontal area 9L of the neocortex in 18 anthropoid primate species and on the allometric scaling of this ratio with brain size, concluding that the value in humans is well within the range allometrically expected for an anthropoid primate with our brain size.
- Kudo, H. & R.I.M. Dunbar (2001), "Neocortex size and social network size in primates", Animal Behaviour 62 (4): 711–722, DOI:10.1006/anbe.2001.1808
- Rilling, J.K. & T.R. Insel (1999), "The primate neocortex in comparative perspective using magnetic resonance imaging", Journal of Human Evolution 37 (2): 191–223, DOI:10.1006/jhev.1999.0313