- 1998 bombings of U.S. Embassies in Africa : Vehicle-borne suicide bomb attacks, conducted by al-Qaeda approximately nine minutes apart, on U.S. Embassies and civilian buildings in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya on August 7, 1998
- 2013 Nairobi shopping mall attack : Attack on a Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, by al-Shabaab, fatally killing at least 68 people.
- Abdullah Azzam : A Salafist legal scholar and jihadist, who formed the Services Office supporting the Afghanistan War (1978-92) with Osama bin Laden, one of the organizations that formed al-Qaeda
- Al-Khifa : A branch of the Services Office operating in the U.S., supporting the anti-Soviet forces in the Afghanistan War (1978-1992); directed by Abdullah Azzam and at least affiliated with al-Qaeda personnel
- Al-Qaeda : International islamist terrorist network. Responsible for the 9-11 attack and other terrorist attacks.
- Al-Shabaab (insurgency) : An Islamist group in Somalia, accused of having generic terrorism and specific al-Qaeda affiliations
- Ali Mohamed : A former Egyptian Army officer, who served in the U.S. Army, and then worked for al-Khifa; probably an al-Qaeda member
- Country : Nation, state, region, or territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation : The principal U.S. Federal police agency, part of the U.S. Department of Justice and the United States intelligence community, who has arrest authority, and is the primary authority for a variety of domestic crimes, civilian counterespionage within the United States, and organized crime
- Jamal al-Fadl : An early (1988) associate of Osama bin Laden, who walked into a U.S. Embassy in 1996, offered his services, and testified at a 2001 trial for the 1998 bombings of U.S. Embassies in Africa
- L'Houssaine Kherchtou : Former pilot for Osama bin Laden, who left al-Qaeda, gave significant information to the U.S., and is in the U.S. Witness Protection Program
- Michael Scheuer : Former head of the Osama bin Laden/al-Qaeda unit in the Counterterrorism Center of the Central Intelligence Agency; critical of U.S. policies but with insightful analysis on what he sees as a complex enemy; contributor to AntiWar.com
- Safehouse : A physical or virtual place where the members of a clandestine organization can meet or communicate, with minimal danger of exposure to hostile security personnel.
- Sami Mohy El Din Muhammed Al Hajj : A Sudanese journalist for the Al Jazeera news agency, held at Guantanamo Bay detention camp for suspicion of acting as a terrorist courier; released in 2008
- Secret Intelligence Service : Britain's national-level civilian organization for intelligence and covert action
- Tanzania : A large coastal East African nation bordered by Kenya, Uganda, Congo and the Indian Ocean.
- U.S. intelligence activities in Africa : Activities of the United States intelligence community in Africa
- United States intelligence community : The United States' intelligence agencies coordinated by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
- Viram Jasani : (b. 21 May 1945) Kenyan-born Indian session multi-intrumentalist, known for his contribution to film soundtracks and the Led Zeppelin recording 'Black Mountain Side'.