- See also changes related to Hypothalamus, or pages that link to Hypothalamus or to this page or whose text .
Hormones controlled by the hypothalamus
- Oxytocin : A mammalian hormone that is secreted into the bloodstream from the posterior pituitary gland, and which is also released into the brain where it has effects on social behaviors.
- Vasopressin : A hormone also called (arginine vasopressin, (AVP); formerly known as antidiuretic hormone, ADH), produced in the hypothalamus secreted from the posterior pituitary that causes kidneys to concentrate urine to conserve water, also causes vasoconstriction.
- Somatostatin : Neuropeptide whose best known function is as a hypothalamic factor that inhibits the secretion of growth hormone.
- Prolactin : Hormone secreted from lactotroph cells of the anterior pituitary gland with an essential role in lactation.
- Growth hormone : A peptide hormone that is made in and secreted from the somatotroph cells of the anterior pituitary gland, and which is essential for regulating post-natal growth in all mammals.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone : Hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland, which stimulates production of thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland.
- Luteinising hormone : Pituitary hormone with an essential role in reproduction in both males and females.
- Follicle stimulating hormone : Add brief definition or description
- Adrenocorticotrophic hormone : Hormone secreted from the anterior pituitary that regulates glucocorticoid secretion from the adrenal gland.
- Suprachiasmatic nucleus : An agregation of neurons in the hypothalamus, located above the optic chiasm, that regulates circadian rhythms.
- Supraoptic nucleus : An aggregation in the hypothalamus of magnocellular neurosecretory neurones that project to the posterior pituitary gland, and which secrete the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin
- Paraventricular nucleus : Aggregation of neurons in the hypothalamus with important roles in neurendocrine regulation.
- Arcuate nucleus : An aggregation of neurons in the mediobasal hypothalamus with important roles in appetite regulation and in the control of growth hormone secretion and prolactin secretion.
- : Aggregation of neurones aligned parallel to the lateral walls of the third ventricle, including the neuroendocrine somatostatin neurones.
- : Large amorphous area that includes orexin neurones and has a role in appetite regulation.
- : Region of the rostral hypothalamus with roles in many aspects of reproduction and in thermoregulation.
- Ventromedial nucleus : Large aggregation of mainly glutamatergic neurones dorsal to the arcuate nucleus; known as important for appetite regulation and regulation of sexual behaviour.
- Dorsomedial nucleus : Add brief definition or description
- Mamillary nucleus : Add brief definition or description
- : One of the circumventricular organs of the brain, lacking a blood-brain barrier, known as a site where blood-borne factors are "sensed".
- : Hypothalamic region with important role in fluid and electrolyte homeostasis.
- Median eminence : Specialised region at the base of the brain containing the hypothalamo-hypophysial portal vessels and neuroendocrine nerve endings that release their products into them.
- Posterior pituitary : Gland that contains nerve endings of hypothalamic neuroendocrine neurons that secrete the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin
- Anterior pituitary : Endocrine gland that secretes hormones to regulate stress, growth, metabolism and reproduction.
- Magnocellular neurosecretory cell : Large neuroendocrine neuron in the supraoptic nucleus and paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus that projects to the posterior pituitary gland.
- Lactation : Add brief definition or description
- Parturition : Add brief definition or description
- Stress : Please do not use this term in your topic list, because there is no single article for it. Please substitute a more precise term. See stress (disambiguation) for a list of available, more precise, topics. Please add a new usage if needed.
- Growth : Additions making something bigger or larger in size or mass, which happens over a period of time.
- Metabolism : The modification of chemical substances by living organisms.
- Appetite : The desire to eat food, experienced as hunger, and in mammals controlled by neural circuits in the hypothalamus.
- Thermoregulation : Add brief definition or description
- Osmoregulation : Add brief definition or description
- Homeostasis : Add brief definition or description