|Founded||1939, by Bill Hewlett and David Packard|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto , California |
The Hewlett-Packard Company commonly referred to as HP, is a technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California (U.S. state), United States. HP is the largest technology company in the world and operates in nearly every country. HP specializes in developing and manufacturing computing, storage, and networking hardware, software and services. Major product lines include personal computing devices, enterprise servers, related storage devices, as well as a diverse range of printers and other imaging products. Other product lines, including electronic test equipment and systems, medical electronic equipment, solid state components and instrumentation for chemical analysis were spun off as Agilent Technologies in 1999.
HP markets its products to households, small to medium size businesses and enterprises both directly, via online distribution, consumer-electronics and office-supply retailers, software partners and major technology vendors.
HP posted US $91.7 billion in annual revenue in 2006 compared to US$91.4 billion for IBM, making it the world's largest technology vendor in terms of sales. In 2007 the revenue was $104 billion, making HP the first IT company in history to report revenues exceeding $100 billion.
HP is the largest worldwide seller of personal computers, surpassing rival Dell, according to market research firms Gartner and IDC reported in January 2008; the gap between HP and Dell widened substantially at the end of 2007, with HP taking a near 3.9% market share lead. HP is also the 5th largest software company in the world. It is one of the only American PC-focused computer companies publicly traded under the New York Stock Exchange.
Alliances and competition
- http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/71/71087/pdf/HP_2006AR.pdf HP 2006 Annual Report
- HP Reports Fourth Quarter 2007 Results: Financial News
- http://redmondmag.com/reports/article.asp?EditorialsID=494 RedmondMag.com - The Race to $100 Billion
- Source: Gartner http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=584210
- Software Top 100: "The World's Largest Software Companies"
- Ryan Kim (January 27, 2009), "HP, Cisco to compete for data center business", San Francisco Chronicle