- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Several English translations of The Histories of Herodotus are readily available in multiple editions. The most readily available are those translated by:
- Strassler, Robert B., Rosalind Thomas, and Andrea L. Purvis, eds. The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories by Herodotus (2007)
- Godley, A. D. 1920; revised 1926. Reprinted 1931, 1946, 1960, 1966, 1975, 1981, 1990, 1996, 1999, 2004. Available in four volumes from Loeb Classical Library. ISBN 0-674-99130-3 Printed with Greek on the left and English on the right. excerpt and text search
- Grene, David. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1985.
- Macaulay, George Campbell. (1890) in Gutenberg vol 1; vol 2
- Rawlinson, George, translation 1858-1860. Public domain; many editions available, excerpt and text search
- Sélincourt, Aubrey de. (1954); revised by John Marincola in 1972. Several editions from Penguin Books available. excerpt and text search
- Waterfield, Robin. Oxford World's Classics, 1998. excerpt and text search
- Asheri, David, Alan Lloyd, Aldo Corcella, and Oswyn Murray. A Commentary on Herodotus Books I-IV (2007) excerpt and text search
- Dewald, Carolyn, and John Marincola, eds. The Cambridge Companion to Herodotus (Cambridge Companions to Literature) (2006), emphasis on literary style excerpt and text search
- Evans, J. A. S., Herodotus. Boston: G. K. Hall, 1982.
- Evans, J. A. S., Herodotus, Explorer of the Past: Three Essays. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1991.
- Fehling, Detlev. Herodotus and His "Sources": Citation, Invention, and Narrative Art. Translated by J.G. Howie. Arca Classical and Medieval Texts, Papers, and Monographs, 21. Leeds: Francis Cairns, 1989.
- Flory, Stewart, The Archaic Smile of Herodotus. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1987.
- Fornara, Charles W. Herodotus: An Interpretative Essay. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1971.
- Gould, John, Herodotus. London: George Weidenfeld and Nicolson Ltd., 1989.
- Green, Peter. "The Great Marathon Man" The New York Review 55#8 (May 15, 2008), interpretive essay online edition
- Hartog, François. The Mirror of Herodotus: The Representation of the Other in the Writing of History (The New Historicism: Studies in Cultural Poetics) (1988) excerpt and text search
- How, W. W., and J. Wells. A Commentary on Herodotus: With Introduction and Appendices Volume I (Books I-IV) (1912) excerpt and text search
- Irwin, Elizabeth, and Emily Greenwood. Reading Herodotus: A Study of the Logoi in Book 5 of Herodotus' Histories (2007) excerpt and text search
- Lateiner, Donald. The Historical Method of Herodotus. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1989.
- Momigliano, A., The Classical Foundations of Modern Historiography. University of California Press, 1992.
- Momigliano, Arnaldo. "The Place of Herodotus in the History of Historiography." History 1958 43(147): 1-13. Issn: 0018-2648
- Munson, Rosaria Vignolo. Telling Wonders: Ethnographic and Political Discourse in the Work of Herodotus (2001)
- Myers, John L. Herodotus: Father of History (1953) online review
- Pritchett, W. K., The Liar School of Herodotus. Amsterdam: Gieben, 1991; argues for the veracity of Herodotean accounts
- Kwintner, Michelle. The Liar School of Herodotus (Review). Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 1994. online
- Thomas, Rosalind. 'Herodotus in Context; ethnography, science and the art of persusion'. Oxford University Press 2000. excerpt and text search