- Netherlands : Constitutional monarchy (population c. 16.6 million; capital Amsterdam) located at the delta of three major rivers (Rhine, Maas or Meuse, and Schelde) in north-western Europe; situated between Germany and Belgium, and bordering the North Sea to the north and west; founding member of the European Union.
- Gelderland : Add brief definition or description
- Hendrik Antoon Lorentz : Dutch theoretical physicist (1853 - 1928)
- Operation MARKET-GARDEN : A combined paratroop and armor operation, by Allied forces in September 1944, to seize bridges over the Maas, Waal and Rhine Rivers in [the Netherlands]]; generally considered a failure
- Hanseatic League : Add brief definition or description