Ankle brachial index
In medicine and the physical examination, the ankle brachial index is the "comparison of the blood pressure between the brachial artery and the posterior tibial artery. it is a predictor of peripheral arterial disease."
Role in health care
Diagnosis of peripheral arterial disease
|81 consecutive patients referred for arterograms of any region.
• 17% had peripheral arterial disease
|ABI by auscultation||Doppler ABI < 0.9||71%||91%|
|205 patients from 24 primary care physicians. Subjects has at least one major cardiovascular risk factor.
• 4% had peripheral arterial disease
|ABI by palpation||Doppler ABI < 0.9||88%||82%|
| Khan, 2006
|ABI by Doppler ultrasonography||Angiography||95%||> 95%|
Prediction vascular disease and mortality
- Anonymous (2020), Ankle brachial index (English). Medical Subject Headings. U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Khan NA, Rahim SA, Anand SS, Simel DL, Panju A (February 2006). "Does the clinical examination predict lower extremity peripheral arterial disease?". JAMA 295 (5): 536–46. DOI:10.1001/jama.295.5.536. PMID 16449619. Research Blogging.
- Migliacci R, Nasorri R, Ricciarini P, Gresele P (August 2008). "Ankle-brachial index measured by palpation for the diagnosis of peripheral arterial disease". Fam Pract 25 (4): 228–32. DOI:10.1093/fampra/cmn035. PMID 18567610. Research Blogging.
- Carmo GA, Mandil A, Nascimento BR, et al (February 2009). "Can we measure the ankle-brachial index using only a stethoscope? A pilot study". Fam Pract 26 (1): 22–6. DOI:10.1093/fampra/cmn086. PMID 19022870. Research Blogging.
- Fowkes FG, Murray GD, Butcher I, et al (July 2008). "Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham Risk Score to predict cardiovascular events and mortality: a meta-analysis". JAMA 300 (2): 197–208. DOI:10.1001/jama.300.2.197. PMID 18612117. Research Blogging.