S-300 PMU (missile)/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to S-300 PMU (missile), or pages that link to S-300 PMU (missile) or to this page or whose text .
- Integrated air defense system : An air defense that combines radar, anti-aircraft artillery, surface-to-air missiles, and fighter aircraft, presenting multiple layers of defense under systematic command and control
- Surface-to-air missile : A guided missile fired from land or water, to destroy aircraft and possibly missiles; naval versions may have a secondary anti-shipping missile capability
- Ballistic missile defense : A combination of sensors, command and control systems, and missile/warhead kill mechanisms that protect a region, or, in the case of the U.S., theaters of operations as well as the nation proper.
- AEGIS battle management system : An integrated system of computers, radars, and other systems that provides integrated management of a shipboard suite of strategic strike, anti-surface warfare, ballistic missile defense and anti-air warfare principally using missiles in vertical launch systems; it complements other integrated systems for anti-submarine warfare and naval gunfire support
- Cooperative Engagement Capability : A distributed computing and communications system principally aboard U.S. Navy warships, more than the AEGIS battle management system is often called. As opposed to the Joint Tactical Information Distribution System it does not share only the processed data from single sensors on single platforms, but shares a mutually computed model fusing all sensors
- Aster (missile) : French-British-Italian naval surface-to-air missiles, used on the Type 45-class and French & Italian HORIZON destroyers and in a land-based derivative
- MIM-104 Patriot : Missile originally developed for medium-to-high altitude aircraft interception (SAM) use, which, while retaining that capability, is now optimized as an anti-ballistic missile (ABM) for relatively small but critical areas. The SAM versions have explosive warheads but the ABM is hit-to-kill.
- RIM-156 Standard SM-2 : Intended to be launched from the vertical launch system of AEGIS battle management system equipment ships, this is principally a long-range surface-to-air missile using semi-active radar homing with no over-the-horizon capability; it can accept midcourse guidance for its secondar anti-shipping missile capability and thus engage over-the-horizon targets