Requiem in other arts, popular culture, and miscellaneous musical manifestations
[This is from the Wikipedia article. Snipped out of Citizendium because of growing extraneous character. Perhaps a few selected important examples could be restored to the main article, with justifications.]
- Alexander Borodin composed a "Requiem" piece for the collaborative piano work Paraphrases, which is a set of pieces based on the theme commonly known as "Chopsticks."
- In a parody of a medieval geisslerlied, the monks in the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail chant the Pie Jesu while striking themselves with their books.
- "Requiem of Spirit" was a song in the popular Nintendo 64 video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- "Requiem for a Dream" was a novel written by Hubert Selby, Jr. and was later adapted into a critically acclaimed film (2000).
- Jesper Kyd is a popular composer who has composed Requiem songs for many videogames. The Hitman (computer game series) series being among the most popular.
- Requiem is the name of the last mission in the videogame "Hitman: Blood Money"
- In 1983 Pink Floyd released an album called "The Final Cut". The album's secondary title was "A Requiem for the Post-War dream".
- At Your Funeral was a song by Saves The Day on their album Stay What You Are, in the song they use the lyrics "At your funeral I will sing the requiem"
- "Requiem" is one of the most popular tracks by the British Hard Dance act Lab 4
- "Requiem for the Masses" performed by The Association, composed by Terry Kirkman. Originally written as a tribute to boxer Davey Moore, it became an anti-war song. Includes choir chants of "Requiem aeternam", "Rex tremendae maiestatis" and "Kyrie eleison".
- "Requiem For A Sinner" is the opening track on the 1977 album "World Anthem" by Canadian hard rock band Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and most fans consider it to be one of their best songs.
- 'Requiem' is a superweapon in the anime series Gundam SEED Destiny
- In 2006 the Emanuel Gat Dance company from Israel began performing K626, a modern dance work set to Mozart's requiem, and named after the composition's Köchel catalogue number.
- "Requiem" is a well known track by the Hard Trance act Lab 4
- "Requiem" is used as an overdrive for the character Seymour Guado in the roleplaying game Final Fantasy X
- "Requiem" is a short musical verse in the videogame Ace Combat 04. it is normally played after the player has been shot down, crashed, or has failed a mission
- "Requiem" is the title of the upcoming, debut album from Hip-Hop artist One-Way.
- Doom metal band Silentium has a song named "Requiem" on their 1999 album Infinita Plango Vulnera.
- distinguo. There are musical etc. pieces that use the word, or have only a loose connection with the basic meaning, but there are some that have more than a tenuous connection with the tradition, and they should go in.-- I'm not
sure how there is a valid division between Kirkman's and the more traditional ones. There may be more. But yes, ones with just the word in the title are the proper domain of WP.