Special Air Service/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Special Air Service, or pages that link to Special Air Service or to this page or whose text .
- U.K. Special Forces : A UK Ministry of Defence Directorate which also has the capability to provide a Joint Special Operations Task Force Headquarters.
- Clandestine human-source intelligence and covert action : Intelligence and military special operations functions that either should be completely secret (i.e., clandestine: the existence of which is not known outside the relevant government circles), or simply cannot be linked to the sponsor (i.e., covert: it is known that sabotage is taking place, but its sponsor is unknown).
- Direct action (military) : Military attacks, usually by special operations forces on land, against specific, well-defined targets, often behind enemy lines.
- Special reconnaissance : Also known as SR, missions deep in denied areas, conducted by special operations personnel. They may be in or out of uniform. While SR units may direct air, missile, or artillery strikes, they strive to stay undetected.
- Counterterrorism : A range of activities that prevent attempted terrorism well before an actual act is close to being executed, including killing or capturing terrorists; complements and can include anti-terrorism, or measures taken to minimize the impact of an attempted or completed act; counterterrorism proper is "enemy centric" rather than counterinsurgency, which is "people-centric"
- 21 SAS Regiment : Add brief definition or description
- 22 SAS Regiment : Add brief definition or description
- 23 SAS Regiment : Add brief definition or description
- David Sterling : Add brief definition or description
- Peter de la Billiere : General, British Army, retired as Special Advisor to the Minister of Defence after commanding British troops in the Gulf War; former Director, Special Air Service
- Special Boat Service : U.K. Special Forces units specializing in waterborne operations, administratively part of the Royal Marines
- Special Reconnaissance Regiment : Add brief definition or description
- Special Forces Support Group : Add brief definition or description
- Mountain Warfare and Arctic Cadre : Add brief definition or description
- The Parachute Regiment : Add brief definition or description
- Joint Special Operations Command : A major subordinate unit of the United States Special Operations Command, which takes on the most sensitive covert military operations, usually working unacknowledged within the geographic area of a Unified Combatant Command
- Delta Force : A generally covert U.S. Army unit in Joint Special Operations Command, specializing in hostage rescue and combat search and rescue, direct action, special reconnaissance, and counterterrorism.
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Special Air Service. Needs checking by a human.
- Operation RANKIN : A set of contingency plans for the Western Allies in Europe in World War II, to deal with a sudden German withdrawal or collapse before the scheduled invasion of Normandy
- Paratroop : A subset of air assault military forces, which arrive at a tactical objective by deliberately parachuting from aircraft
- SAS : Add brief definition or description
- Signals intelligence from 1954 to 1979 : Technology and history of signals intelligence from 1954 to 1979
- Signals intelligence from 1980 to 1989 : Worldwide events in communications intelligence and electronic intelligence between 1980 and 1989
- U.S. support to South Vietnam before Gulf of Tonkin : A period of overt advisory and combat support by the U.S. to South Vietnam, from roughly 1962 to mid-1964
- United Kingdom : Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.