San Diegan/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to San Diegan, or pages that link to San Diegan or to this page or whose text .
- Railroad : Technology that allows vehicles to travel on networks of fixed rails.
- Railroads in California : A brief history of the network of interconnected independent rail transport systems located throughout the Union's thirty-first state and how they shaped the region's development.
- Aerotrain : A postwar experimental streamlined passenger train set introduced by General Motors Electro-Motive Division in the mid-1950s.
- Named passenger trains of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway : A form of rail transport consisting of a series of vehicles propelled along a track specifically for the purpose of transporting passengers that has been assigned an identifier beyond that of a simple number.
- San Diego and Arizona Railway : A short line, standard gauge American railroad founded by "sugar heir," developer, and entrepreneur John D. Spreckels in 1919, dubbed "The Impossible Railroad" by many engineers of its day due to the immense logistical challenges involved.
- San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway : Short line, standard gauge American railroad founded in 1933 by the Southern Pacific Transportation Company as a direct successor to John D. Spreckels' San Diego and Arizona Railway.
- San Diego Electric Railway : A short line, standard gauge American electrified railway system founded by "sugar heir," developer, and entrepreneur John D. Spreckels in 1891.
- Super C : A premium, high-speed intermodal freight train operated by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway from 1968 to 1976.
- Beep (SWBLW) : A one-of-a-kind switcher locomotive built by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway at the company's Cleburne, Texas workshops in 1970.
- California, history since 1846 : Brief history of the Union's thirty-first state from 1846 to the present day.
- Central Pacific Railroad : California-to-Utah portion of the first transcontinental railroad in North America.
- CF7 : An EMD F-unit that has had its streamlined carbody removed and replaced with a custom-made, "general purpose" body in order to adapt the unit for road switching duty; the conversions were performed by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in their Cleburne, Texas workshops between October 1970 and March 1978.
- Dining car : A railroad passenger car that serves meals on a train in the manner of a full-service, sit-down restaurant. It is distinct from other types of railroad food service cars that do not duplicate the full-service restaurant experience.
- Refrigerator car : A piece of railroad rolling stock outfitted with cooling apparatus and designed to carry perishable freight at specific temperatures.
- SD26 : An EMD SD24 diesel locomotive that was specially modified by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in the mid-1970s.
- Troop sleeper : A railroad passenger car that had been constructed specifically to serve as a "mobile barracks" for transporting troops during wartime over distances sufficient to require overnight accommodations.