Rumsfeld v. Padilla/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Rumsfeld v. Padilla, or pages that link to Rumsfeld v. Padilla or to this page or whose text .
- Extrajudicial detention : The policy and practice of holding prisoners captive without judicial authority to do so, or without a recognized authority under international law, such capture of prisoners of war
- Supreme Court of the United States : The final federal court of appeals in the U.S., consisting of nine Justices.
- Lawful combatant : A person who meets the qualifications of the Geneva Conventions to be entitled to prisoner of war status
- Authorization for the Use of Military Force : Primary Congressional authorization, compliant with the War Powers Resolution, for U.S. combat activities following the 9-11 attacks
- Jose Padilla : An American citizen, convicted in 2007 of conspiring to assist in terrorism in foreign countries, who was originally arrested in 2002 by U.S. law enforcement, transferred by Presidential order to military custody and interrogation, and, as a result of Padilla v. Rumsfeld, sent back to civilian jurisdiction
- George W. Bush : (1946–) 43rd U.S. President (Republican), elected in 2000 and re-elected in 2004.
- Donald Rumsfeld : U.S. Secretary of Defense in the George W. Bush Administration (2001-2008); was the oldest secretary and earlier the youngest secretary in the Administration (1975-1977); major policymaker after the 9-11 attack; advisor, Project for the New American Century
- 9-11 attacks : Add brief definition or description