From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Polyglott: A person able to communicate in multiple languages.
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Person : An individual human being.
- Linguistics : The scientific study of language.
- Natural language : A communication system based on sequences of acoustic, visual or tactile symbols that serve as units of meaning.
- Foreign language : A language which is associated with another country or culture and is rarely or never used in a speaker's own community; usually taught in classrooms or through self-study, for practical purposes such as travel or doing business, or for pleasure.
- Multilingualism : The state of knowing two or more languages, either in individuals or whole speech communities.
- Native language : A language to which a person was exposed during early childhood, usually by other family members.
- First language acquisition : Study of the processes through which humans acquire language, specifically first languages, which studies infants' acquisition of their native language.
- Second language acquisition : Process by which people learn a second language in addition to their native language(s), where the language to be learned is often referred to as the 'target language'.
- Bilingualism : The state of knowing two languages, either in individuals or whole speech communities; a special case of multilingualism.
- Dictionary : Reference work containing words classed alphabetically and giving information about spelling, etymology and usage.
- Lexicon : A list of words together with additional word-specific information, i.e., a form of a dictionary.