Politics of Japan/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Politics of Japan, or pages that link to Politics of Japan or to this page or whose text .
- Japan : East Asian country of about 3,000 islands; one of the world's largest economies; population about 125,000,000.
- Politics : Activity that relates to the way in which society is governed, and the process by which human beings living in communities make decisions and establish obligatory values for its members.
- Government : The system by which a community or nation is controlled and regulated. A government is a person or group of persons who govern a political community or nation.
- Meiji Restoration : Beginning in 1868, the major change in Japanese governance coming from the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate not only restoration of the monarchy as the real head of state, but also the modernization of the form of government from feudal to technical-bureaucratic, the end of the samurai class and the development of a national military
- Japanese party government before World War Two : In 1874, during Meiji Restoration, Japan created political parties, the first party government taking office in 1900; the parties had similarities to but important differences with parliamentary parties in the West; the last prewar parties dissolved themselves in 1940
- National Diet (Japan) : Bicameral parliament of Japan from the Meiji Restoration to the present time, although significantly modified by the 1947 Constitution; limited role in decision-making for World War Two in the Pacific, especially as Japanese party government declined.
- House of Representatives : Lower house of the Japanese parliament.
- House of Councillors : Upper house of the Japanese parliament.
- Government of Japan : Add brief definition or description
- Prime Minister of Japan : Head of government of Japan; not an immensely powerful executive, influenced by the monarchy prior to 1945, and subsequently by the complex coalitions of Japanese top-level decisionmaking
- Democratic Party of Japan : (民主党 Minshutou) political party formed in 1998 through the merger of parties in opposition to the governing Liberal Democratic Party, including former members of the LDP; won the 2009 Japanese general election and formed a coalition government, but lost heavily to the LDP in 2012.
- Liberal Democratic Party (Japan) : (自由民主党 Jiyuu-Minshutoo) Conservative Japanese political party which has held power near-uninterrupted since 1955.
Democratic Party of Japan
- Yoshihiko Noda : (野田佳彦) Japanese Prime Minister and leader of the Democratic Party of Japan from August 2011 to December 2012.
- Naoto Kan : Former Japanese Prime Minister and leader of the Democratic Party of Japan from June 2010 until August 2011.
- Ichiro Ozawa : Add brief definition or description
- Yukio Hatoyama : (鳩山由紀夫 Hatoyama Yukio) former Prime Minister of Japan and ex-leader of the Democratic Party of Japan (2009-2010); led the party to its first election victory, ousting the Liberal Democratic Party of which he was a former member after 55 years of near-uninterrupted rule (born 1947).
Liberal Democratic Party
- Shinzo Abe : (安倍晋三 Abe Shinzoo) Prime Minister of Japan since December 2012 and leader of the Liberal Democratic Party; previously prime minister over 2006-2007 (born 21st September 1954).
- Sadakazu Tanigaki : Add brief definition or description
- New Komeito : Add brief definition or description
- Japan Restoration Party : Add brief definition or description
- Your Party : Add brief definition or description
- Japanese Communist Party : Add brief definition or description
- Social Democratic Party (Japan) : Add brief definition or description
- People's New Party : Add brief definition or description
- Kunio Hatoyama : (鳩山邦夫 Hatoyama Kunio) Japanese politician and younger brother of Yukio Hatoyama, also a politician.
- Ryuhei Kawada : (川田龍平 Kawada Ryuhei) independent Japanese politician who campaigns on health issues; was involved in legal action against the government and a pharmaceutical company over the 1980s 'tainted blood scandal' that led to his HIV infection (born 1976).
- Parliamentary democracy : A form of representative democracy in which the government is drawn from the members of an elected legislative assembly.