Paris Peace Talks/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Paris Peace Talks, or pages that link to Paris Peace Talks or to this page or whose text .
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- Detente : A transition of the view of U.S. foreign policy from the Cold War model to one based on "realism", and a balance of power among the U.S., U.S.S.R., and China; most associated with Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger
- Vietnamization : A policy, formalized by name in the Nixon Administration but reflecting earlier U.S. thinking, of making the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam primarily responsible for conventional ground combat, in South Vietnam, during the Vietnam War
- Richard M. Nixon : Add brief definition or description
- Henry Kissinger : (1923—) American academic, diplomat, and simultaneously Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs and Secretary of State in the Nixon Administration; promoted realism (foreign policy) and détente with China and the Soviet Union; shared 1973 Nobel Peace Prize for ending the Vietnam War; Director, Atlantic Council
- Leonid Brezhnev : Add brief definition or description
- John Negroponte : A career U.S. diplomat now on the faculty of Yale University, whose tenure included Ambassadorships to Iraq, the United Nations, Honduras, and Mexico and serving as Director of National Intelligence
- Pham Van Dong : Early Indochinese revolutionary, and then Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North) and the unified Socialist Republic of Vietnam for 30 years
- Le Duc Tho : A member of the Politburo of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, who was the true, not public, senior negotiator at the Paris Peace Talks, although listed as "special adviser"
- Operation LINEBACKER II : The most intense air campaign of the Vietnam War, directed against North Vietnam to force it back to the Paris Peace Talks; a peace agreement was signed one month after the start of the 11 days of attacks
- Nguyen Van Thieu : Vietnamese officer and politician (1923–2001); president of South Vietnam 1967–1975.
- Nguyen Cao Ky : Republic of Vietnam Air Force general, active in military coups, who served as Premier and member of several juntas
- Duong Van Minh : Vietnamese general who led the 1963 overthrow of Ngo Dinh Diem and final President of the Republic of Vietnam in 1975.
- Xuan Thuy : Foreign Minister of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam between 1963 and 1965; official head of the North Vietnamese delegation to the Paris Peace Talks but really subordinate to Le Duc Tho.
- H.R. Haldeman : Add brief definition or description
- John Ehrlichman : Add brief definition or description
- Prisoner of war : An individual who has been captured by an enemy in an area of war, and meets various conditions, defined principally by the Third Geneva Convention of 1949, which qualify the person as a lawful combatant