From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Brain : The core unit of a central nervous system.
- Cognition : The central nervous system's processing of information relevant to interacting with itself and its internal and external environment.
- Cognitive science : The scientific study either of mind or intelligence and includes parts of cognitive psychology, linguistics and computer science.
- Amnesia : Pathologic partial or complete loss of the ability to recall past experiences (retrograde amnesia) or to form new memories (anterograde amnesia).
- Mnemonic : An aid for memory.
- Dementia : Progressive decline in two or more cognitive domains that is severe enough to interfere with the performance of everyday activities.
- Nervous system : The control unit of bodily functions in animals.
- Neuron : An excitable cell that is specialized to conduct nerve impulses.
- Synapse : Contact point between neurons and other cells, crucial for nerve signalling
- Recovered memory : Description given to the apparent memory of event(s) that, if they occurred, were previously forgotten for a relatively long time.