John O'Neill/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to John O'Neill, or pages that link to John O'Neill or to this page or whose text .
- Counterterrorism : A range of activities that prevent attempted terrorism well before an actual act is close to being executed, including killing or capturing terrorists; complements and can include anti-terrorism, or measures taken to minimize the impact of an attempted or completed act; counterterrorism proper is "enemy centric" rather than counterinsurgency, which is "people-centric"
- Federal Bureau of Investigation : The principal U.S. Federal police agency, part of the U.S. Department of Justice and the United States intelligence community, who has arrest authority, and is the primary authority for a variety of domestic crimes, civilian counterespionage within the United States, and organized crime
- 9-11 Attack : The largest terrorist attack on the continental United States, occurring on September 11, 2001, using hijacked airliners as suicide weapons against major buildings.
- Counterterrorism Center : A Central Intelligence Agency organization, unusual for the days before the 9-11 attack in that it mixed personnel from the operations and analytical directorates, as well from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Headed by Cofer Black; replaced by the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence
- Extraordinary rendition, U.S. : General United States policy and laws regarding the transfer of a person of interest to another country, without going through formal international extradition but possibly through other administrative hearings
- Richard Clarke : Career U.S. defense official who served in policy posts in the Ronald Reagan,George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush Administrations, specializing in counterterrorism in the latter two
- Osama bin Laden : Radical jihadist who, with Ayman al-Zawahiri, founded a group known as al-Qaeda, which is credited with a series of terrorist attacks.
- Michael Scheuer : Former head of the Osama bin Laden/al-Qaeda unit in the Counterterrorism Center of the Central Intelligence Agency; critical of U.S. policies but with insightful analysis on what he sees as a complex enemy; contributor to AntiWar.com