II Field Force Vietnam/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to II Field Force Vietnam, or pages that link to II Field Force Vietnam or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/II Field Force Vietnam. Needs checking by a human.
- 173rd Airborne Brigade : An Airborne Infantry Brigade Combat Team, independent of the 82nd Airborne Division, primarily assigned to United States European Command but also having been assigned to United States Central Command for assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan; one of the first U.S. Army combat units used in Joint warfare in South Vietnam 1964-1968
- Annam : The central region in those parts of French Indochina that eventually became South Vietnam; was the Kingdom of Dai Viet and then the Empire of Annam
- Army of the Republic of Viet Nam : A term describing both the ground force specifically, and the armed forces generally, of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War and Fall of South Vietnam
- Ban Me Thuot : A town in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, the junction of a number of key highways; During the Vietnam War, it was a MACV-SOG covert action base; the first major town captured in the 1975 North Vietnamese invasion, triggering large-scale refugee flight
- Binh Duong Province : A Vietnamese province near Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, in which there was much fighting during the Vietnam War
- Corps : The highest-level military headquarters that has an operational art mission, as opposed to tactical and support/administrative role; normally commanded by a major general or lieutenant general
- Dac Lac Province : With Ban Me Thuot as its capital, the largest province of the Central Highlands of Vietnam
- II Corps tactical zone : The geographical command of the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam that covered more land mass than any other region, in Central Vietnam including the Highlands. It roughly corresponded with the operational area of the U.S. II Field Force Vietnam.
- III Corps tactical zone : In the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, the geographic command responsible for Saigon, the national capital, and its surrounding provinces. While relatively small in land mass, it had a large part of the population and the bulk of economy and industry.
- III Marine Expeditionary Force : U.S. Marine Expeditionary Force, currently assigned to United States Pacific Command and based on Okinawa; core units are a Marine Division, Marine Expeditionary Brigade, and Marine Air Wing; can function as a corps headquarters
- IV Corps tactical zone : The southernmost regional command of the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, including the Mekong River Delta.
- John Paul Vann : Influential field operator in the Vietnam War, first as a United States Army advisor and lieutenant colonel, who later worked for the Agency for International Development in a role with the authority of a major general
- Joint warfare in South Vietnam 1964-1968 : The period of the Vietnam War in which large numbers of foreign ground troops, primarily but not exclusively U.S., allied with the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam against the People's Army of Viet Nam and the Viet Cong
- Khanh Hoa Province : On the coast of Vietnam, a province that contained major combat and support bases during the Vietnam War, and forms a key transportation corridor for economic development
- Kontum : In Vietnam, the capital of Kontum Province, near Pleiku and Plei Me; Highway 14 runs through it,and Highway 24 connects it to Quang Ngai.
- Military Assistance Command, Vietnam : Headquarters for most U.S. combat and support units assisting the Republic of Vietnam
- Operation CEDAR FALLS : 19-day Vietnam War "search and destroy" mission in January 1967 in the "Iron Triangle" area northwest of Saigon.
- Operation JUNCTION CITY : A large "search and destroy" beginning in late 1967 and lasting for 72 days, following Operation CEDAR FALLS north of Saigon, with a 35,000 soldier force of South Vietnamese and United States troops
- Pleiku : The capital of Gia Lai Province of Vietnam; headquarters of the II Corps tactical zone during the Vietnam War
- Quang Ngai : Add brief definition or description
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- Wars of Vietnam : The broad context of warfare in the modern area of Vietnam, of which the Vietnam War (1962-1975) is best known, but involves colonization, Japanese occupation, decolonization, and post-1975 but related warfare among Vietnam, Cambodia and China