Human iron metabolism/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Human iron metabolism, or pages that link to Human iron metabolism or to this page or whose text .
- Nutrition : The study of foods and nutrients and their effects on health, growth and development of any individual.
- Ferritin : An intracellular protein-iron complex in which iron reserves are stored
- Transferrin : A protein that carries iron, absorbed in the gastrointestinal tracts, to the capillaies, and released into the bloodstream
- Heme : Deep red, nonprotein, ferrous molecule that binds with proteins as a cofactor or prosthetic group to form the haemoproteins.
- Heme transporter : Add brief definition or description
- Hemoglobin : Iron-containing allosteric protein in erythrocytes of vertebrates, consisting of about 6 percent heme and 94 percent globin; also the clinical measurement of hemoglobin per volume of whole blood, varying with age and sex
- Erythropoesis : The creation, from megakaryocyte-erythroid progenitor cells, and life cycle of erythrocytes (i.e., red blood cells or RBCs)
- Anemia : A condition characterized by insufficient circulating and effective hemoglobin in blood to support normal physiology.
- Iron overload diseases : Add brief definition or description