Higgs boson/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Higgs boson, or pages that link to Higgs boson or to this page or whose text .
- Boson : elementary particle with integral spin; composite system consisting of an even number of fermions.
- Elementary particle : A particle that has no internal structure; that is, both theoretically and experimentally there are no constituent particles that combine to make it up.
- Physics : The study of forces and energies in space and time.
- Particle physics : Branch of physics that deals with subatomic particles.
- Quantum chromodynamics : A quantum field theory which supposes that fundamental particles such as protons and neutrons are made up of interacting quarks and gluons.
- Standard Model : A mathematical theory that describes the weak, electromagnetic and strong interactions between leptons and quarks, the basic particles of particle physics.
- Mass : The total amount of a substance, or alternatively, the total energy of a substance.
- Large Hadron Collider : The highest-energy and largest particle accelerator based at European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. The Large Hadron Collider is being used to determine experimentally whether the Higgs boson - as predicted by the Standard Model - exists.
- Dark matter : Theoretical matter that neither emits nor absorbs light and appears to interact with other matter only gravitationally.