F-117 Nighthawk/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to F-117 Nighthawk, or pages that link to F-117 Nighthawk or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/F-117 Nighthawk. Needs checking by a human.
- 2K12 KUB : Also known by the NATO designation SA-6 GAINFUL, this is a highly mobile surface-to-air missile system with both radar and passive television, the latter allowing it to engage targets without telltale radar emissions. It entered Soviet service in 1970, but has gone constant improvement and remains operational in a number of countries, optimized for low to medium air defense.
- ARC-164 : The standard U.S. and NATO UHF radio for military air-to-air and air-to-ground communications, compatible with the HAVE QUICK II electronic protection scheme; it is not a Joint Tactical Radio System device although JTRS units will interoperate with it
- Anti-aircraft artillery : A general term for guns that can elevate to high angles and shoot accurately at aircraft, using visual, electro-optical, or radar guidance.
- B-2 Spirit (bomber) : U.S. long-range, low-observability "stealth" heavy bomber
- Electronic warfare : A subset of information operations that deals with the use of electromagnetic or kinetic means to degrade an enemy's military electronics systems, to be able to operate one's own electronics in the face of enemy attacks, and to evade those attacks through protection or deception
- Fighter aircraft : Airplanes that have a principal mission of destroying other airplanes in flight, often with a secondary capability to attack ground targets
- Integrated air defense system : An air defense that combines radar, anti-aircraft artillery, surface-to-air missiles, and fighter aircraft, presenting multiple layers of defense under systematic command and control
- Operation DESERT STORM : That part of the Gulf War, beginning with the first air strikes at 02:00 local time, 17 January 1991, until the main ground assault into Kuwait, Operation DESERT SABRE
- Radar : (acronym for "radio detection and ranging") A technique used for detecting and tracking targets, navigation, imagery, and special applications.
- Ryan Firebee : A family of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), still in production over 50 years after the first, with applications in reconnaissance, missile and fighter training, attack, electronic warfare and testing integrated air defense systems
- SR-71 Blackbird : An advanced, long-range, Mach 3 strategic reconnaissance aircraft developed from the Lockheed YF-12A and A-12 aircraft by the Lockheed Skunk Works.
- Special reconnaissance : Also known as SR, missions deep in denied areas, conducted by special operations personnel. They may be in or out of uniform. While SR units may direct air, missile, or artillery strikes, they strive to stay undetected.
- Stealth : The popular term for a collection of techniques that make a military vehicle (air, space, land, sea, or undersea) hard to detect and harder to direct weapons against
- Twelfth Air Force : United States Air Force intermediate command responsible for Air Combat Command fighter and bomber aircraft in the western United States, and is also the Air Component for the Unified Combatant Command, United States Southern Command
- United States Air Force : One of the uniformed services of the United States, with principal responsibility for land-based long-range and high-performance aircraft, as well as land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles