|Sports article||All articles (240)||To Approve (0)||Editors: active (2) / inactive (12)
|Sports Workgroup Discussion|
|Citable Articles (2)||Mailing list (defunct):|
|Checklist-generated categories: Underlinked (153) | Cat Check (102) | Cleanup (0)|
Subpage categories: Definitions (214) | Related Articles (197; to check 101) | Bibliography (59) | External Links (85) | Gallery (1) | Video (3)
Missing subpage categories: Definitions (27) | Related Articles (6) | Bibliography (24) | External Links (20)
The Sports Workgroup will organize and coordinate efforts to create and improve articles relating to Sports. If you are interested in participating, you may add yourself to Category:Sports Authors, discuss issues on the Sports Workgroup Forum, or simply dive in and begin contributing. If you'd like to be an editor, please follow these instructions and then you may add yourself to Category:Sports Editors.
Click on the [r] after the first definition below to edit this list of transcluded subtopics.
- Sports : Activities that involve skill and physical exertion, and that are governed by a generally accepted set of rules and guidelines.
- Olympic Games : Quadrennial sporting extravaganzas involving athletes from around the world in both Summer and Winter sports competitions; begun in Athens in 1896.
- : A multi-sport event organised by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) for athletes with physical, mental and sensorial disabilities. They are held immediately after the Games, the first official occasion being after the 1960 Rome Summer Olympics.
- Doping (sports) : Add brief definition or description
- Ethics in sport : Add brief definition or description
- Sport in ancient Greece : Add brief definition or description
- Famous baseball players : Add brief definition or description
- Famous tennis players : Add brief definition or description
List of sports
- American football : A high-contact sport played by two teams of 11 players on a 100-yard field that originated in the United States of America.
- Association football (soccer) : A sport in which two teams, each consisting of 11 players, compete to move a spherical ball around the playing field and into their opponents' goal; with the exception of the goalkeeper, players may not use their hands or arms to control the ball.
- Athletics : The collective term for a group of athletic events in walking, running, jumping or throwing.
- Aquatics : A term for water sports, subdivided into five distinct branches: swimming, water polo, diving, open water swimming, and synchronized swimming.
- Archery : An individual sport involving shooting at a target using a bow and arrow.
- : A group of many different sports or games involving automobiles.
- Badminton : An indoor game in which players on opposite sides of a net hit a shuttlecock with wire-strung rackets.
- Baseball : A ball game, using a small spherical ball and a striker called a bat, played between two teams of 9 players each on a field with a diamond shaped circuit consisting of 4 bases.
- Basketball : A ball game played between two teams of 5 players, the objective of which is to throw the ball through one of a pair of hoops fixed above each end of the playing court.
- Biathlon : An athletic competition combining the sport activities of cross-country, or Nordic, skiing, and rifle shooting.
- Bobsleigh : Add brief definition or description
- Boxing : A combat sport between two opponents in a roped, square ring who attempt to strike each other with fists enclosed in padded gloves.
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu : Add brief definition or description
- Canoeing : Add brief definition or description
- Cricket (sport) : An outdoor team sport played with a bat and ball; highly popular in England and Commonwealth countries.
- Curling : A game, invented in Scotland, which involves two teams of four players who slide a heavy stone towards a target at the opposite end of a long, narrow sheet of ice.
- Cycling : The sport, recreational activity and means of transportation of riding a bicycle.
- Darts : Add brief definition or description
- Diving : Add brief definition or description
- Equestrian : Add brief definition or description
- Fencing : The martial art, sport or act of fighting with bladed weapons, typically including swords, daggers and knives.
- Field hockey : Add brief definition or description
- Football : Any of a number of team sports which involve kicking and/or handling a ball with the purpose of territorial gain leading to the scoring of goals or points.
- Golf : Game in which the players attempt, using special clubs, to sink a small, dimpled ball into each of 18 successive holes in the fewest number of strokes.
- Gymnastics : An individual, competitive sport involving the performance of acrobatic exercises requiring physical strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, gracefulness, and kinesthetic awareness.
- : A game consisting of two teams of seven players each in which a ball is passed by hand with the aim of scoring points by throwing the ball into each other's goal.
- Ice hockey : A game, played on ice, which consists of two teams of six players, each attempting to drive a small hard rubber disc called a puck into their opponent's goal net.
- Judo : Martial art of Japanese origin.
- Karate : Add brief definition or description
- Lacrosse : Team sport played outdoors by ten players (men) or twelve players (women), each of whom uses a netted stick (the crosse) in order to pass and catch a very hard rubber ball with the aim of scoring goals by propelling the ball into the opponent's goal.
- Luge : Add brief definition or description
- Martial arts : Codified systems of both armed and weaponless, or empty-handed, skills intended to develop and increase proficiency in combat.
- Mixed Martial Arts : Add brief definition or description
- Modern Pentathlon : Add brief definition or description
- Racquetball : Add brief definition or description
- Rock climbing : Add brief definition or description
- Rowing : Both an Olympic-level sport and the act of manually propelling a small boat by using oars.
- Rugby : Please do not use this term in your topic list, because there is no single article for it. Please substitute a more precise term. See Rugby (disambiguation) for a list of available, more precise, topics. Please add a new usage if needed.
- Sailing : The use of wind and a sail to move an object.
- Shooting : Add brief definition or description
- Skating : Add brief definition or description
- Skiing : Various means of travelling over snow with the aid of skis which are bound to the foot using a special boot; in sporting terms the main classifications are Alpine skiing and Nordic skiing.
- Softball : A modified form of baseball, played on a smaller field and using a larger ball which is thrown with an underhanded motion; exists in two forms, slow pitch and fastpitch.
- Squash (sport) : Add brief definition or description
- Table tennis : Add brief definition or description
- Taekwondo : Add brief definition or description
- Tennis : A sport played on a hard-surfaced rectangular court, between either two players or two teams of two players each, in which the players attempt to strike a hollow rubber ball, using a stringed raquet, over a net into the opponent's half of the court.
- Triathlon : An endurance athletic competition involving running, cycling, and swimming.
- Ultimate : Add brief definition or description
- Volleyball : A game consisting of two teams of six players each in which a large ball is struck by hand over a high net with the aim of preventing the opposing team from returning the ball before it strikes the ground.
- Weightlifting : Add brief definition or description
- Wrestling : Add brief definition or description
High priority articles
In the list of articles below, the existence of an approved version is indicated by underlining.
If you want to import one of these articles from Wikipedia, please read How to convert Wikipedia articles to Citizendium articles first. In particular, please do not import WP articles unless you plan or beginning work on them "within the hour" as the article says.
Main subject areas
Winter Olympics sports
Summer Olympic sports
Archery · Aquatics · Association football (soccer) · Athletics · Badminton · Basketball · Boxing · Canoe / kayak · Cycling · Equestrian · Fencing · Hockey · Gymnastics · Handball · Judo · Modern pentathlon · Rowing · Sailing · Shooting · Table tennis · Taekwondo · Tennis · Triathlon · Volleyball · Weightlifting · Wrestling