From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to COSPAS-SARSAT, or pages that link to COSPAS-SARSAT or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/COSPAS-SARSAT. Needs checking by a human.
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon : Intended for search and rescue of ships and boats, this is a beacon that will float free of a sinking vessel, and broadcast a position report, preferably with GPS, to a worldwide cluster of monitoring satellites.
- Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite : GOES satellites do visual and infrared imaging of earth atmosphere from geosynchronous orbit; they carry secondary payloads in the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite constellation of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System : Mandated by the Safety of Life at Sea convention of the International Maritime Organization system of digital radio and other systems for ships to receive alerts and signal search and rescue organizations when they are in distress.
- International Maritime Organization : The United Nations agency responsible for avoiding pollution from ships, and implementing the Safety of Life at Sea convention
- Marine navigation : A term including the literal process of navigation, or finding position and course, but of the overall process of safe operation of a water vessel, such as avoiding collisions
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration : A scientific agency within the United States Department of Commerce focused on the conditions of the oceans and the atmosphere.
- Satellite communications : Telecommunications that makes use of a high-altitude relay(s), usually artificial satellites in Earth orbits but potentially a relay in the atmosphere
- Satellite orbits : The path of a celestial body or an artificial satellite as it revolves around another body.
- Search and rescue : The location of those in distress from natural, accidental, or hostile causes; on-scene medical stabilization and extrication; evacuation to treatment or other safe facilities
- Spacecraft : Vehicle designed to operate, with or without a crew, for use beyond the Earth's atmosphere.
- Spectroscopic MASINT : A electro-optical measurement and signature intelligence technique to measure the electromagnetic spectrum reflected from or emitted by an object, typically within the infrared through ultraviolet wavelength range, and compare it to spectral signatures of known objects
- Visible light : Electromagnetic radiation of a wavelength that is detectable by the human eye.