- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
Biography and criticism
- Anthony Burgess, Nothing Like The Sun (1964). Fictionalised biography
- Anthony Burgess, Shakespeare (1970). Biography
- Stephen Greenblatt, Will in the World (2004). Biography
- Bertram Fields, Players: The Mysterious Identity of William Shakespeare (2005)
- John Pemble, Shakespeare Goes to Paris: How the Bard Conquered France (2005)
- Shakespeare on Film Bibliography (via UC Berkeley)
- Harold Bloom, Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human (1999). Literary Criticism
- Michael Wood, In Search of Shakespeare (2003) Historical background, BBC Books, ISBN 0-563-52141-4 (paperback). This work is a companion to the television series of the same title.
- Peter Ackroyd, Shakespeare: The Biography *(2005). Biography
- A. L. Rowse, Shakespeare the Man (St. Martin’s Press, revised ed. 1988). Biography
- S. Schoenbaum, William Shakespeare, A Compact Documentary Life (Oxford U. Press, 1977). Biography
- Cleanth Brooks, The Well-Wrought Urn (Harvest, 1947). This collection of criticism contains a classic essay on Macbeth.
- J.D. Wilson, What Happens in Hamlet (Cambridge U. Press, 1970). Literary Criticism
- P. Crittwell, The Shakespearean Moment and Its Place in the Poetry of the 17th Century (Vintage, 1960).
- Helen Vendler, The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets (Belknap/Harvard, 1997). Essays on the prosody, diction, logical organization, etc., of each of the sonnets.
- Marjorie Garber, Shakespeare After All (Pantheon, 2004). Essays on each of the plays.
- William F. Friedman and Elizabeth S. Friedman, The Shakespearean Ciphers Examined (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1957). A debunking, by military-intelligence cryptologists, of claims by Ignatius Donnelly and others that the plays contained encrypted messages about authorship and other topics.
- Robert Matz, The World of Shakespeare's Sonnets (McFarland, 2007). Examines the contexts (social, class, sexual, racial, political, etc.) of the sonnets.