From Citizendium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is a stub and thus not approved.
Main Article
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
To learn how to update the categories for this article, see here. To update categories, edit the metadata template.
 Definition A large town in central England, the county town of Staffordshire. [d] [e]
Checklist and Archives
 Workgroup category Geography [Editors asked to check categories]
 Talk Archive none  English language variant British English

I don't suppose...

I can talk about the BT training center having the most toxic food in England, or the road signs being such that I found myself in a pasture, asking directions of cows? The bovine residents were polite but discreet. Shall we say I repeatedly kissed the ground of the Avis car turn-in lot at Heathrow? Howard C. Berkowitz 17:55, 1 June 2009 (UTC)

Er, probably not, no... the most toxic food in England is in all the McDonalds outlets that shouldn't be here... actually Stafford does have quite a confusing layout, it might be worth mentioning that the ring road only goes half way round the town! Btw, there aren't any 'turn in lots' in Britain... I think you mean car park but I'm not completely sure!Tom F Walker 18:19, 1 June 2009 (UTC)
It was the place at Heathrow where I knew, absolutely, that I no longer had to drive on the wrong side of the road. It differs from the place in Bletchley where they gave me the car, and the sadly inadequate 30-second lesson for Americans on approaching rotaries.
The Stone House Hotel, on the other had, had excellent food.
I wonder if I used the wrong accent with the cows? They seemed friendly enough. Howard C. Berkowitz 18:31, 1 June 2009 (UTC)
What's a rotary? Caesar Schinas 06:01, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
Sorry, I meant roundabout. Howard C. Berkowitz 06:21, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
Ah, interesting. You call them rotaries in American? This should be added to British and American English. Caesar Schinas 06:32, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
I think a rotary is something else actually, as in a traffic circle (no article on here, there is one on wiki) - roundabouts work differently to those. Tom F Walker 07:44, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
Hmm... we have a few of what WP calls traffic circles, though I've never heard the term, but I can't work out what a rotary is... it sounds pretty similar to a roundabout. Are roundabouts called roundabouts in the US? Caesar Schinas 07:58, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
Yeah, I've read a few documents from America about introducing them (don't ask me for links, I can't remember, try googling it!). I think it's Michigan that's planning to do it on a big scale - that and the replacement of cloverleaf junctions with other types of grade separation. Tom F Walker 08:14, 2 June 2009 (UTC)