The term "Sydney" can mean either
- a suburb, where the New South Wales Parliament is located,
- The City of Sydney, which is the Local Government Area covering the entire white area of the map to the right or
- the Sydney metropolitan area.
The Sydney metropolitan area is the most populous Australian city, with approximately 4.4 million people at the end of June 2008..
Sydney was the first settlement continually inhabited by Europeans, in part because of its large natural harbour. Sydney is a popular tourist destination and is renowned for its quality of life  There is mostly friendly rivalry among the capital cities of Australia, with the competition between residents of Sydney and Melbourne being notorious; Melburnians tend to think of themselves and their city as "classier".
The formal term for a resident of Sydney is still given as Sydneyite in many dictionaries, but Sydneysider is the media term and so enjoys widespread usage. The use of Sydneyite seems to be a function of age, education and socio-economic class, with older, better-educated persons using Sydneyite in formal speech and writing.
Clover Moore MP is the Lord Mayor of City and was the first woman elected Lord Mayor (March, 2004).
The climate in Sydney is warm temperate. The overwhelming majority of days are sunny. The seasons are reversed from those in the Northern Hemisphere, with summer occurring from December to February.
|Mean daily maximum temperature (°C)||25.9||25.7||24.7||22.4||19.4||16.9||16.2||17.8||19.9||22.0||23.6||25.2||21.6|
|Mean daily minimum temperature (°C)||18.6||18.8||17.5||14.7||11.5||9.3||8.0||8.9||11.0||13.5||15.6||17.5||13.7|
|Mean total rainfall (mm)||102.8||116.9||130.3||126.1||121.5||130.6||97.6||81.9||69.2||77.0||83.0||77.7||1214.3|
- The Sydney Harbour Bridge
- The Sydney Opera House
- The Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) is used for Test cricket, one-day international cricket, some rugby league and rugby union matches, and is the home ground for the New South Wales Blues cricket team and the Sydney Swans of the Australian Football League. It is owned and operated by the SCG Trust that also manages Sydney Football Stadium located next door.
- Sydney Dance
- Sydney is one of the world's favourite cities, and has been voted "world's best city" by readers of US travel magazines Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler. Sydney is also ranked first in the Asia Pacific for quality of life by the IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook 2007. http://www.sydneyaustralia.com/en/lifestyle.asp Sourced 27th November 2007.
- Climate Table sourced from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology for years 1859-2007