Public opinion poll/Bibliography
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
The practice of polling
- Asher, Herbert. Polling and the Public: What Every Citizen Should Know, 7th ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2007.
- Bradburn, Norman M. and Seymour Sudman. Polls and Surveys: Understanding What They Tell Us (1988)
- Cantril, Hadley. Gauging Public Opinion (1944)
- Robinson, Claude E. Straw Votes (1932).
- Traugott, Michael W. The Voter's Guide to Election Polls 3rd ed. (2004)
- Webster, James G., Patricia F. Phalen, Lawrence W. Lichty; Ratings Analysis: The Theory and Practice of Audience Research Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2000
- Young, Michael L. Dictionary of Polling: The Language of Contemporary Opinion Research (1992)
Public opinion polling history
- Converse, Jean M. Survey Research in the United States: Roots and Emergence 1890-1960 (1987)
- Igo, Sarah E. The Averaged American: Surveys, Citizens, and the Making of a Mass Public. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2007.
- Robinson, Daniel J. The Measure of Democracy: Polling, Market Research, and Public Life, 1930-1945. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999.
- Squire, Peverill. "Why the 1936 Literary Digest Poll Failed, Public Opinion Quarterly 52 (1988) pp. 125-133.
Commentaries and controversy
- Bourdieu, Pierre. "Public Opinion does not exist" in Sociology in Question, London, Sage (1995)
- Crespi, Irving. Public Opinion, Polls, and Democracy (1989)
- Gallup, George. Public Opinion in a Democracy (1939).
- Irwin, Galen A. and Joop J. M. Van Holsteyn. Bandwagons, Underdogs, the Titanic and the Red Cross: The Influence of Public Opinion Polls on Voters (2000).
- Moore, David W. The Superpollsters: How They Measure and Manipulate Public Opinion in America (1995)
- Robinson, Matthew Mobocracy: How the Media's Obsession with Polling Twists the News, Alters Elections, and Undermines Democracy (2002)
- Rogers, Lindsay. The Pollsters: Public Opinion, Politics, and Democratic Leadership (1949)
- Warren, Kenneth F. In Defense of Public Opinion Polling. Westview Press, 2002.
- Cantril, Hadley and Mildred Strunk, eds. Public Opinion, 1935-1946 (1951)
- Gallup, Alec M. ed. The Gallup Poll Cumulative Index: Public Opinion, 1935-1997 (1999)
- Gallup, George Horace, ed. The Gallup Poll; Public Opinion, 1935-1971 3 vol (1972)
- Niemi, Richard G., John Mueller, Tom W. Smith, eds. Trends in Public Opinion: A Compendium of Survey Data (1989)