Cricket probably reached London and the county of Middlesex by the end of the sixteenth century, given that it was definitely recorded in neighbouring Surrey in 1597. The earliest definite reference to Middlesex in connection with the sport is from 1680 and the earliest known match in the county was played in Holborn on 3 July 1707. The earliest known team called Middlesex took part in a match against London on 5 August 1728. The stake in that match, played in Islington, was £50 but the result is unknown. Middlesex teams were prominent through the rest of the eighteenth century and there was a close association with Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) after the latter was founded in 1787. Around the end of the century, MCC ran a unit called the Thursday Club]] and this is generally believed to have been a Middlesex county team.
Middlesex County Cricket Club (Middlesex CCC) was founded on 2 February 1864. The prime mover in the club's creation was the famous all-rounder V. E. Walker, supported by his family which included other well known players. The club's initial first-class match was against Sussex at Islington on 6 & 7 June 1864. Middlesex were temporarily based at Lillie Bridge Grounds in West Brompton for a few years. That venue was better known for football and hosted the 1873 FA Cup Final. Middlesex moved out in 1872 and went to Prince's Cricket Ground in Chelsea until 1876. In 1877, they moved to Lord's, owned by MCC, where they have remained.
Middlesex were founder members of the County Cricket Championship in 1890 and won their first official title in 1903. They have won the County Championship thirteen times (twice shared), most recently in 2016. They have also won seven limited overs tournaments and one Twenty20 Cup. Among many famous Middlesex players have been Denis Compton, Patsy Hendren, J. T. Hearne, J. W. Hearne, Pelham Warner, Walter Robins, Bill Edrich, Fred Titmus, John Murray, Mike Brearley, Mike Gatting and Andrew Strauss.