- See also changes related to Mazar-e-Sharif, or pages that link to Mazar-e-Sharif or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Mazar-e-Sharif. Needs checking by a human.
- Abdul Rashid Dostum : Afghan Uzbek warlord who had been the dominant figure in the north, although he may have gone into exile in Turkey
- Afghanistan War (2001-), major combat phase : During the Afghanistan War (2001-), the period of combat by Afghan ground forces, with U.S. and British air & special operations support, which drove the Taliban and al-Qaeda from their bases, in October through December 2001
- Afghanistan War (2001-) : Beginning on October 7, 2001, in response to the 9-11 attacks, military operations against the Taliban and al-Qaeda by United States and NATO forces
- Balkh Province : The most developed province of northern Afghanistan, whose capital is Mazar-e-Sharif; it has the key route into Uzbekistan
- Battle of Kunduz : A battle in northern Afghanistan in November 2001, the climax of the northern campaign, which involved numerous Taliban prisoner deaths, in a possible atrocity and in a prison revolt
- Ghilzai : One of the two major tribes of the Pashtun people, rivals of the Durrani who founded the monarchy and retain leadership roles
- International Security Assistance Force : United Nations authorized, North Atlantic Treaty Organization-commanded military and security force in Afghanistan, in both a combat and training role
- Northern Alliance : A military alliance against the Taliban in Afghanistan's civil war, which, with U.S. assistance, drove it from power in the Afghanistan War (2001-)
- Provinces of Afghanistan : There are 34 Provinces of Afghanistan.
- Qali-i-Jangi : A stronghold of Abdul Rashid Dostum near Mazar-e-Sharif in Afghanistan, where a prisoner revolt, with many casualties, took place in November 2001
- Taliban : Salafist Islamic militia, governing Afghanistan 1996–2001; still fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Uzbekistan : Previously part of the Soviet Union, a landlocked, predominantly Muslim nation of Central Asia, with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan as neighbors