Louis D. Brandeis/Bibliography
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Baker, Leonard. Brandeis and Frankfurter: A Dual Biography (1984)
- Levy, David W. and Bruce Allen Murphy. "Preserving the Progressive Spirit in a Conservative Time: The Joint Reform Efforts of Justice Brandeis and Professor Frankfurter, 1916-1933," Michigan Law Review Vol. 78, No. 8 (Aug., 1980), pp. 1252-1304 in JSTOR sober version of material that appeared in sensational form in Murphy, The Brandeis/Frankfurter connection: The secret political activities of two Supreme Court justices (1983). The sensation is that Brandeis paid Frankfurter, a law professor, $50,000 in total over 25 years to enable him to be active in reform efforts Brandeis was unable to join because of his status on the Court.
- Mason, Alpheus T. Brandeis: A Free Man's Life (1946), is the authorized biography. online edition
- Mason, Alpheus T. "Louis D. Brandeis" in Leon Friedman and Fred L. Israel, eds. The Justices of the United States Supreme Court: Their Lives and Major Opinions. Volume: 3. (1997), pp 1019-36 online edition
- Purcell, Jr., Edward A. Brandeis and the Progressive Constitution: Erie, the Judicial Power, and the Politics of Federal Courts in Twentieth-century America (2000)
- Strum, Philippa. Louis D. Brandeis: Justice for the People (1989)
- Tarr, G. Alan. "Laboratories of Democracy? Brandeis, Federalism, and Scientific Management," Publius, Vol. 31, No. 1, (Winter, 2001), pp. 37-46. in JSTOR
- Urofsky, Melvin I. Louis D. Brandeis and the Progressive Tradition (1981) online edition
- Urofsky, Melvin I. "Louis D. Brandeis: Advocate Before and on the Bench." Journal of Supreme Court History (2005) 30(1): 31-46. Issn: 1059-4329 Fulltext: Ebsco
- Urofsky, Melvin I. "Wilson, Brandeis, and the Supreme Court Nomination." Journal of Supreme Court History (2003) 28(2): 145-156. Issn: 1059-4329 Fulltext: Ebsco
- Brandeis, Louis D. Brandeis on Zionism: A Collection of Addresses and Statements (1942). online edition
- Brandeis, Louis D. The Curse of Bigness: Miscellaneous Papers edited by Osmond K. Fraenkel, (1934);
- Brandeis, Louis D Letters of Louis D. Brandeis, edited by Melvin I. Urofsky and David W. Levy (5 vol, 1971-1978).
- Brandeis, Louis D. Business--A Profession (1914) full text online
- Brandeis, Louis D. Other People's Money and How the Bankers Use It (1914)
- Lief, Alfred, ed. The Social and Economic Views of Mr. Justice Brandeis (1930)
- Strum, Philippa, ed. Brandeis: Beyond Progressivism (1995) excerpt and text search