Lois McMaster Bujold
Lois McMaster Bujold is an acclaimed American science fiction and fantasy writer, winner of seven Hugo awards and four Nebula awards. Bujold was highly successful in creating science fictions novels in a recurring universe with recurring characters. She has created at least three recurring worlds (Vorkosigan, Paladin, and Desdemona. The latter two are fantasy worlds. The most successful series by far was her first, the Vorkosigan series, consisting of around two dozen novels which center on two or three major characters related to each other over two generations. The first novel of that series appeared in 1986, and she seems to have wrapped it up in 2016. Although not written in order of the chronology within their universe, many choose to read them in their in-universe chronological order. She branched out into fantasy with The Curse of Chalion.
Books in the Vorkosigan series
Mainly about: Cordelia Naismith
- Cordelia's Honor (1996) - Combined edition of Shards of Honor (1986) and Barrayar (1991) with an afterword by the author.
- Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen (2016)
Mainly about: Miles Vorkosigan
- The Warrior's Apprentice (1986)
- Brothers in Arms (1989)
- Borders of Infinity (1989) including "Mountains of Mourning", "Labyrinth", and "The Borders of Infinity"
- The Vor Game (1990)
- Vorkosigan's Game (omnibus: The Vor Game, Borders of Infinity) (1992)
- Mirror Dance (1994)
- Cetaganda (1995)
- Memory (1996)
- Young Miles (omnibus: The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountains of Mourning, and The Vor Game) (1997)
- Komarr (1998)
- A Civil Campaign (1999)
- Miles, Mystery and Mayhem (omnibus: Cetaganda, Ethan of Athos, and Labyrinth) (2001)
- Diplomatic Immunity (2002)
- Miles Errant (omnibus: Borders of Infinity, Brothers in Arms, and Mirror Dance) (2002)
- Miles, Mutants and Microbes (omnibus: Falling Free, Labyrinth and Diplomatic Immunity) (2007)
- Miles in Love (omnibus: Komarr, A Civil Campaign and Winterfair Gifts) (2008)
- Cryoburn (2010)