Lavrenti Beria/Related Articles
Lavrenti Beria: (1899-1953) Soviet security and intelligence official, who rose from the Cheka until becoming head of state security; managed Soviet nuclear program; attempted to assume power after the death of Joseph Stalin but was executed by a coalition of other seekers of power
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Soviet Union : A Communist state, which took over the Russian Empire, after the Russian Revolution of 1917 that existed from 1922 to 1991; the major part now extant as the Russian Federation
- Organs of State Security : A generic term for Soviet intelligence and internal security organizations, from the Cheka to the KGB; traditionally a third of the power balance among the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the Red Army; term continues in Russian usage with the FSB
- Joseph Stalin : (1878 - 1953) The head of Russia's Communist ("Bolshevik") party and dictator of the Soviet Union from 1924 until his death.
- Great Terror : Internal Soviet investigations, mass trials, and extrajudicial detention ordered by Josef Stalin, primarily 1936-1938
- Gulag : The system of forced labor camps of the Soviet Union, often considered a state within a state; acronym for the Soviet bureaucratic institution, Glavnoe Upravlenie ispravitel’no-trudovykh LAGerei (Main Administration of Corrective Labor Camps)
- Yalta Conference : The last Second World War summit meeting involving Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston S. Churchill and Josef Stalin; set policy for the Occupation of Germany; agreed to set up the United Nations; established policy against Japan
- Soviet nuclear weapons : Nuclear weapon development by the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation
- Operation Borodino : Soviet program to build a fission device, analogous to the Manhattan Project, under the policy direction of Lavrenti Beria, technical direction of Igor Kurchatov with Yuli Khariton as head of the weapons laboratory at Sarov/Arzamas-16
- Pavel Sudoplatov : Add brief definition or description